We hear all the time about the wonders of Chia Seeds – well what is so good about them?
Here is the scoop…
The tiny black seed from the plant Salvia Hispanica is a wonderful health food! The have a long history dating back even to the Aztecs and Mayans using them as a superfood that provided sustainable energy.
Here are 9 Reasons to add chia seeds into your diet today!
1. Chia Seeds contain five times more calcium than milk. The calcium content of chia seeds is 18% in only one ounce! This is higher than most dairy Products.
2. Chia Seeds contain 11 grams of fiber Per serving. They are about 20% soluble fiber which promotes a healthy digestive system.
3. Chia seeds are good for Diabetes, because they regulate blood sugar. They are very good for regulating insulin levels.
4. They are gluten free. Chia seed has no gluten, and they are not considered a grain, so they are wonderful for people with gluten intolerance.
5. Egg Replacer, yes good news for vegans. When baking try using chia seeds mixed with water. They gel up when added to water, just add the chia gel to your baked good.
6. Good source of Protein. Yes, chia seeds are a great source for your daily protein intake. They are naturally about 14% protein. They also contain a good balance of amino acids, so our bodies will make good use of the protein found in them.
7. Omega-3 fatty acids. Chia seeds contain more Omega-3 than salmon.
8. They provide 30% of your daily manganese requirements.
9. Chia seeds are high in antioxidants. Antioxidants fight the production of free radicals, which contribute to ageing and various other diseases.
Check out my chia seed pudding here.