100g castor sugar
1t lemon juice
500g apples, peeled and thickly sliced
2T castor sugar
1 x sheet of puff or sweet shortcrust pastry
1. Make the caramel – put the sugar and water into a small saucepan. Over a low heat, stir until dissolved then increase heat and simmer without stirring till golden.
2. Stir in the lemon juice and pour the caramel into a pie dish, tipping back and forth till coated. Leave to cool slightly while preparing the apples.
4. Arrange the apples into the tin, sprinkle with sugar and dot with the butter.
5. Place the pastry over the top, tucking in around the edge.
6. Put the tarte into a medium hot oven (approx 220 degrees Celsius). Bake for 30-40 minutes turning regularly.
7. Remove from the oven and immediately turn out on to a serving dish. Serve with cream or ice cream.