I wont make any false claims here, there are a few steps to making Jamie’s doughnuts. None of its difficult, but just a little time consuming. So get the coffee on and take your time with it. How do they taste? I really liked them, they’re a little on the non-sweet side, so if you are going to have a problem with this, use your discretion with adding extra sweetening in the dough mixture.
The texture of the doughnuts is chewy, and the juicy blueberry syrup is what makes the dish. Perfect weekend breakfast when you have the time to experiment in the kitchen!
- 100g Medjool dates
- 100g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 100g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting
- 30g ground almonds
- 1 large free-range egg
- olive oil
- 320g blueberries
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- ground cinnamon , optional
- Tear the stones out of the dates and place the flesh in a food processor with the flours, ground almonds, egg, a tiny pinch of sea salt and 70ml of water. Blitz until combined and forming a ball of dough, then roughly knead on a clean flour-dusted surface for just 2 minutes.
- Roll out the dough 1.5cm thick, then use an 8cm cutter (or a pint glass) to cut out two rounds. Use a 3cm cutter (or the end of a clingfilm roll!) to cut a hole in the centre of each one, then use those centre bits and the remaining cut-offs of dough to roll it out again, repeating the process until you have four doughnuts in total.
- Simmer the doughnuts in a large pan of gently boiling water for 5 minutes, very carefully turning them over halfway through. Place a large frying pan on a medium heat with 1 tablespoon of oil. Drain the doughnuts well, then carefully transfer them to the frying pan to get golden for 10 minutes, turning regularly to build up a nice crust.
- Once looking good, add the blueberries to the pan, then drizzle over the honey. Jiggle and shake the pan over the heat for a couple of minutes, using a spoon to keep turning the doughnuts in all that lovely jammy blueberry juice. When it looks nice and shiny and the doughnuts are purple, ripple the yoghurt through the pan and divide between your plates. Nice with a sprinkling of cinnamon, to finish.