I absolutely love cooking – except for when I don’t! And that’s usually on weekends which are mayhem at this time of year. Being busy though doesn’t mean sacrificing good eating. Smoothies have become such a staple in our house – it’s a great way to get a hit of good food on the run and if I can sneak extra fruit and vegies into my kids diets, that’s a win for me!
This recipe is a fabulous hybrid between a smoothie and chia pudding – and trust me it hits the jackpot. Full of flavour and texture and pretty as a picture. The enourmous spoonfull of almond butter on top is wicked – don’t be tempted to omit this for the sake of calories!!
- 1/4 chia seeds
- 1/4 lime, lemon or orange zest
- 1 cup coconut milk
- spoonful of honey
- almond butter and granola
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 3 chopped and frozen kiwi
- small handful baby spinach
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- squeeze of lemon or lime
- To make the chia pudding, place chia, coconut milk, orange zest and honey in a container and stir to combine, keep stirring for about a minute of and on to prevent clumps forming. Place in fridge.
- Chill for a couple of hours or overnight.
- For the kiwi smoothie, place kiwi, baby spinach, coconut water, avocado in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Divide half the chia pudding between 2 glasses, top with kiwi smoothie then keep alternating chia pudding and smoothie. Top with a good dollop of almond butter, granola and drizzle of coconut milk.
- Thanks to www.greenkitchenstories.com who have just released an amazing book titled Green Kitchen Smoothies. My parfait is an adaption from one of their recipes.