165g butter, at room temperature 1 ½ cups caster sugar
1 large egg
1 ¼ cups plain flour
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
1 litre good quality vanilla ice cream
1 x 250g punnet Victorian Strawberries, washed and hulled
½ cup milk or dark chocolate bits, chopped roughly
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. Sift all remaining dry ingredients and gradually add to the butter mixture until the biscuit dough comes together in a mass.
2. Roll heaped teaspoons of the dough into balls and place 5cm apart on the tray. For oversized ones use a heaped tablespoon. You will need to do this in batches of 6-8 depending on your tray and oven size. Bake for 8 minutes then let cool on a rack.
3. While the cookies are cooling, remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften slightly, do not let melt.
4. Chop your strawberries into small pieces, random chunks will be fine if the children want to help with this, under supervision of course.
5. Mix the strawberry pieces and the chocolate chips through the ice cream and put back into the freezer so that it can become firm again.
6. Place a big scoop of ice cream onto a cookie and then top with another cookie, gently pressing down to squish the strawberry ice cream out to the edges. Take care not to break the cookie and ensure the ice cream does not ooze out from the sides.
7. Place the strawberries & cream cookie sandwiches back in the freezer until ready to serve.