When strawberries are abundant and cheap, you buy heaps of punnets and make a pie right? This pie is a beauty, no butter, yet its deliciously decadent, fudgy and tastes like it has loads of butter. It took me about 10 minutes to put together so even better.
Using almond meal instead of flour is where the secret is. Almond meal is super moist and gives a nice buttery taste and texture. This is such a delicious pie and was woofed down by my family – the tiny bit that was left I ate for breakfast the next day!
Do try and let me know what you think.
- 2 punnets strawberries, washed, hulled and cut in half
- 1 cup frozen or fresh raspberries
- about 1 tbs sugar
- 2 cups almond meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 300 g sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat over to 180 deg.
- In large pie dish, scatter the strawberries and raspberries, sprinkle over sugar.
- Place almond meal and baking powder in a bowl. Use a whisk to combine well.
- In a small bowl beat eggs until pale and frothy, add condensed milk and beat again until nicely combined and smooth.
- Add the condensed milk mixture to almond meal and stir until well combined.
- Pour over berries.
- Place in oven and bake for about 20 mins until golden on top, check after 15 mins though.
- Cool for about 15 mins the serve lavishly with a scoop of vanilla icecream.