Cooking with strawberries is such a pleasure for me. Firstly, they are my favourite fruit and secondly, cooking these gorgeous berries only intensifies the flavour. This slice is full of wholesome goodness and I cant see why any one would feel at all guilty knocking back a few pieces. I would happily eat this for breakfast with a dollop of thick vanilla yoghurt. This recipe is very easy and simply a case of putting everything in your food processor.
The nuts add great texture to this slice and the chocolate adds a touch of indulgence. In the version you see above I made it with half strawberries and half blackberries. Whilst it was delicious, sticking to all strawberries is probably the better option.
Making this gluten free is perfectly suitable, simply use your favourite gluten free flour.
- 1½ cups of flour
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- ½ cup of sugar
- ¾ cup of rolled oats
- 75g cold salted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of strawberries or any mixed fruit, chopped
- tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 mini choc chips
- Preheat the oven to180°C. Cover a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Put the crust ingredients into a food processor and work the ingredients until it becomes a crumbly mixture and the butter is reduced to small pieces.
- Reserve ¼ of the mixture for the topping.
- Press the remainder firmly in a baking pan.
- Combine strawberries and sugar until the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Spread strawberry mixture over the crust layer and then crumble over the reserved 1/4 mixture, and top with choc bits.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Cool before removing from the pan.