I love cake and am at my happiest baking them. But! I rarely eat cake after mid-day so, my way of getting around this is to eat it for breakfast!. I know any nutritionist would be horrified at this thought, but I figure if I made it and it includes fresh whole ingredients then I would bet anyone that one of my breakfast cakes would be healthier than many processed cereals currently in the market place.
So here is my recipe for Treacle cake..
1 cup almond meal
1 cup self raising wholemeal flour
1/2 cup raw sugar or a natural sugar alternative but not Aspartame!
3 tablespoons natural yoghurt
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup treacle
2 to 3 tablespoons of milk
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg. Grease a loaf or round pan.
2. Place all dry ingredients into a bowl.
3. Lightly beat eggs, then add remaining wet ingredients in another bowl. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated paying attention to the treacle. The mix should be loose, if it feels to stiff, add the extra milk.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and gently fold taking care not to overwork the flour or it will end up rubbery.
5. Bake for about 45 mins. Test with a skewer – it is done when moist crumbs stick to the skewer.
This would be delicious served with a dollop of extra yoghurt and a handful of raspberries.